For the Pork Chops:
• 4 double thick pork chops
• WESTERN Maple BBQ Smoking Chips
• WESTERN Apple BBQ Smoking Chips
• 1/2 cup lime juice
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1 TBS chili pepper
• 1/2 TBS of Cumin
• 3 cloves of chopped garlic
• 1/4 minced jalapeños
For the Salsa:
• 3-4 cups watermelon, diced into 1/2” pieces
• 3 scallions, sliced (use the whole scallion)
• 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
• 1/2 cup cilantro, chiffonade
• 1 - 2 dried chili peppers, crumbled or diced (I only use one)
• 8 oz. feta cheese
• 2 TBS sesame seeds, toasted
• 1 cup rice vinegar
• 3 TBS balsamic vinegar
• 2 TBS of honey
• juice from 1/2 a lime, room temperature
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 to 2 inch piece ginger root, peeled and minced
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• kosher salt and pepper to taste
DOWNLOAD RECIPE (pdf)
To prepare the Pork Chops:
In a large resealable bag, pour in the lime juice, olive oil, chili pepper, cumin, chopped garlic, and jalapeños. Close the bag and give it a good shake to get the chili pepper all mixed in. Now put the pork chops in the bag, and close the bag, getting out as much of the air as possible. Marinate overnight in the fridge, flipping the bag a couple of times. When you are ready to grill the chops, start by combing equal parts of the WESTERN Maple and Apple chips into a smoker tray. One to two handfuls of each should fill the tray. Place the tray over one burner and set it to high. The chips will start smoking in 15 to 20 minutes. At that time adjust all burns to 450°F and move the smoker tray to one side.
Always use tongs when moving a smoker tray.
Place the pork chops on the grill and cook them for 6-8 minutes per side.
To prepare the Salsa:
In a large bowl, combine the vinegars, lime juice, garlic, ginger, honey, and brown sugar. Stir until brown sugar is dissolved. Add a pinch of kosher salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the watermelon, scallions, fresh basil, and cilantro until well mixed.
Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for several hours.
Prior to serving, add the chili pepper, feta cheese, and toasted sesame seeds then stir once more.
<BACK TO RECIPES